From:
Ron Hoggan <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Ron Hoggan <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 27 Jan 2011 11:11:55 -0800

and a dermatologist dismissed the possibility of a connection between
previously diagnosed celiac disease and geographic tongue, I  offer the
following:

One of several early mentions of geographic tongue (glossitis) in
association with celiac disease may be found in the medical textbook
"Coeliac Disease" by Cooke and Holmes, Churchill Livingstone, 1984, on
pages 84 and 85 under the heading "glossitis". They say that it occurs,
to a greater or lesser extent, "in a majority of celiac patients".

an image of severe glossitis can be seen at
http://www.nejm.org/doi/full/10.1056/NEJMicm0810145

Another very informative article on glossitis can be found at
http://www.nejm.org/doi/full/10.1056/NEJMc070200

In this recent article from the New England Journal of Medicine (2007)
the authors also state that the connection between celiac disease and
glossitis is very common. They go on to say: "Our report should alert
physicians and dental practitioners to consider celiac disease in
managing cases of idiopathic atrophic glossitis." In other words, they
want physicians and dentists to be aware that there may be underlying
celiac disease when they encounter glossitis. This information is
neither controversial nor difficult to locate. Celiac disease is not the
only cause of glossitis, or geographic tongue, but it is a common and
long acknowledged symptom of celiac disease, with mention of this
connection in the medical literature at least as early as 1974 (3, 4).

My own experience with glossitis is that most of my problems went away
when I began a GF diet. The remainder of my glossitis resolved after
getting IgG food allergy testing from Immuno Labs in Ft. Lauderdale, and
removing all identified allergenic foods from my diet. (I have since
re-introduced some of these foods but I avoided them for about 5 years.
( 12 years later, I still have to avoid some of the foods identified by
that testing.)

My questions/concerns are:
1. Is your daughter eating gluten? Is it possible that there is gluten
contamination in her diet?
2. Is she eating oats? A significant portion of celiac patients do react
to oats, yet oat consumption is now widely advocated.
3. Has she had testing for common food allergies? If she is strictly GF
and avoiding oats, then food allergy testing may provide her with the
the information she needs to eliminate this source of her discomfort.

I am distressed that neither the pediatrician nor the dermatologist took
just a few minutes to run a Medline search that would have informed them
about the connection between celiac disease and glossitis and some
possible treatments for her problem.  Accidental or intentional gluten
consumption, oats consumption, and food allergy testing are all
relatively easy for either of these physicians to address. There may, of
course, be some other explanation for your daughter's affliction, but
these physicians' ignorance of the connection with celiac disease and
their failure to run a quick Medline search does not inspire confidence
in their opinions.  You might want to pursue a third opinion on this
issue, especially since the topical drug she was prescribed falls well
short of solving such autoimmune/allergic problems, which almost
assuredly is the underlying cause of your daughter's difficulties with
her tongue.

Sources:

1. Masferrer E, & Jucgla A. Geographic Tongue. N Engl J Med 2009;
361:e44November 12, 2009.
2. Pastore L &  Lo Muzio L. Atrophic Glossitis Leading to the Diagnosis
of Celiac DiseaseN Engl J Med 2007; 356:2547June 14, 2007
3. Lampert F, Harms K, Bidlingmaier F, Kiefhaber P, Meister P.Pernicious
anemia with dermatologic and neurologic involvement in a 10-year-old
boy. Monatsschr Kinderheilkd. 1974 May;122(5):217-20.
4. Barry RE, Baker P, Read AE.Coeliac disease. The clinical
presentation. Clin Gastroenterol. 1974 Jan;3(1):55-69

I hope this helps.
Best Wishes,
Ron