VICUG-L Archives

VICUG-L@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Mike Pietruk <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Mike Pietruk <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 6 Jan 2011 19:30:25 -0500
I believe that one often overlooked resource for books by blind people is
their local public libraries.
More and more are including audio books in their collections; and those
they themselves do not own may be available through interlibrary loan.
We pay taxes to support our public libraries and should not feel inhibited
in seeing what accessible books they might have.
And if a book is only available through in print, and one has a scanning
set up, a couple of hours of work can produce perhaps not perfect but more
than usable text.
These days, I view NLS as a last rather than first resource and believe
that, in many ways, they may not be needed for all that long into the
future.
They, like most governmental structures, will survive longer than needed

He is no fool who gives what he cannot keep to gain what he cannot lose.
Jim Elliot
due to vested interests insisting on survival.  A generation or so from
now, however, I believe that it will take great pains to retain a separate
library system for the blind.

Archived on the World Wide Web at
    Signoff: [log in to unmask]
    Subscribe: [log in to unmask]