From:
colin McDonald <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 24 Jun 2011 23:46:02 -0600
yes, you do have to work to get a signal out of an apartment, but why make
it so much more difficult with an antenna as bad as the camelion?
Ok, so you might have to change mono band resonators to use different bands,
but isn't that a whole big bunch better that shooting yourself in the foot
right from the get go?
Why not have mono band resonators tuned to a flat swr on the portions of the
bands you work most often compared to a piece of crap like a camelion or
other multi-band portible/mobile vertical that requires a tuner to even
function?
Seems to me you'd want to get as much RF into the antenna, and out of the
antenna as possible when dealing with apartment set ups, instead of
compremising rf and efficiency with a multi-band antenna.  It's not like you
have to go up to the roof or up a tower to change bands...you go to your
living room, or out on your balcony to change bands.
I can see some advantage if your back packing or travelling light, where
space and weight are an issue so you want an antenna that can do more than
one band, but if your semi-permanent, or at least, in one location, you can
certainly have mono band antennas that will always work better than a
multi-band vertical.
I am  beginning to suspect that no multi-band antenna will work as well,
nevermind out perform, a mono-band antenna, even a smaller mono band
antenna.
Seems silly in a compremised qth to try and use something less efficient
when you can use something more efficient easily.
The camelion comes with the 9 to 1 balun and a counterpoise wire, both of
which are supposed to be used in conjunction with a tuner to get the antenna
to work.
I say, a tuner worth it's sault will tune a coat hanger if you want it to,
so why not use that instead.  It might actually perform better lol.
Now I must say, the camelion was a nice antenna to use for a general
coverage receiver.  My friend picked up a pair of perfectly functional and
very nicely kept IC R71 HF general coverage receivers at a flee market for 5
bucks...yup, 5 bucks for the pair.
We hooked up the camelion and though it was 2 or 4 S units deafer on all the
ham bands, it did let you use one antenna for the entire 500K to 30MHZ
spectrum without needing to switch receiving antennas.
then again, a 30 foot chunk of wire would have probably done the same thing.

73
Colin, V A6BKX