From:
Sofia Soromenho-Ramos <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 12 Oct 1995 17:24:27 -0400

Hi,

        I am not really sure how to post to this group yet, so I used the
reply function.  I hope this works and that I am not just replying to one
specific message/person.  If I am, I apologize in advance!

        I recently found out about Celiac disease while doing some
research on the internet about eczemas and dermatitis.  From the
description of the symptoms, I suspect that I may have it, but perhaps I
am being a bit of a hypochondriac.  I was wondering if some of you could
answer a few questions:  (though I will be seeing a gastroenterologist)

What exactly do the rashes provoked by dermatitis herpetiformis look
like?  How extensive are they?  Can they be localized or do they appear
anywhere?  Can anyone give me a description of this skin condition?

        I understand that many celiacs have this "itchy skin" condition.
I have had what my dermatologists describe as eczemas, or atopic
dermatitis for about 5 years (I am 24).  It is not too extensive for now
but it seems to be getting worse all the time.  Mostly it appears on the
face, neck and back.  I also tend to have a very itchy scalp and lower
legs.  I have been given many creams which seem to do little beyond calm
the itch.  For some time now I have suspected that some of my eczema
"attacks" have something to do with things that I've eaten.  For
instance, I've noticed that I always get a rash on my legs a few hours
after drinking certain american beers (Bud, for instance).  These rashes can
get so itchy that I cannot help scratching.  I think it is this
repeated scratching that has caused some of my eczema patches (rougher,
sometimes darker skin).

How serious are "typical" celiac intestinal problems?

        Aside from suspecting that my eczema might be provoked or
worsened by specific foods, I never linked my (relatively mild) intestinal
problems to it.  But when I found a mention of dermatitis herpetiformis,
and then of celiac disease, I started to see some links.  I have had what
I describe as a sensitive stomach for years (most noticeably since about
the age of 12 - so about 6 years before my eczema problems started).
I tend to get a lot of indigestion after meals -- abdominal pain,
bloating.  I never linked it to specific foods, but I would never have
thought of bread, or cereal, as being the culprits.  A couple of years
ago I also had an episode of recurrent pain in the upper stomach (sorry
for my lack of appropriate anatomical terms: essentially I mean right
below the sternum) that left me weak and tired and curbed my apetite.  My
doctor was never able to explain this, despite echograms, etc... aside
from saying it might be caused by stress.  He did say that if it continued
a biopsy might be a good idea, but since it got better, I didn't think it
was necessary.  It occasionally repeats itself, but at intervals of weeks,
or months.

There are also a few other possible symptoms that caught my attention:
        -white flecks on the finger nails: I've had this for years
        -"fuzzy-mindedness" after gluten ingestions:  I've noticed that I
          concentrate better on an empty stomach (but since I don't like
          to go hungry...).  In general, I've noticed trouble focusing.
        -anemia:  I had an episode of mild anemia about four years ago,
          but since I was at college, I figured I just wasn't eating
          right.  However, this was at the time that my eczema got a lot
          worse and about the same time I had that unexplained abdominal
          pain.  The same year, I also had an allergic reaction to
          something (still don't know what) that made me rush to the
          hospital when all my face began to be covered with red swollen
          itchy rashes and it started to move down to my neck and body.
          They gave me antihistamines and I got better quickly.
        -legs and feet that tend to fall asleep easily

Things that I don't have:
        -Weight loss:  I think I have a normal weight (140 pounds, 5ft9)
          and it doesn't fluctuate that much.  During college I even
          gained a bit of weight over the four years.  About a year ago I
          did loose about 10 pounds in one month, but I had had food
          poisoning (or so I thought) and then it took me a while to recover.
          afterwards, I gained it back fairly quickly.
        -light menstrual periods, or skipping them altogher.

Aside from the things above, I am in pretty good health.  Are there any
other symptoms to watch out for?  Does this sound like a celiac?

Thanks for your help and answers!

Sofia S. R.