From:
Sandy Rzetelny <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 16 Apr 2012 23:58:52 -0400

Thanks- my physician didn't mention it either. Thanks for the posts- they
are reassuring.

Sandy

In a message dated 4/12/2012 8:05:56 P.M. Eastern Daylight Time,
[log in to unmask] writes:

My BUN  was above the range early in my LCish Paleo diet, but my doctor was
 unconcerned and didn't even bother to mention it. Did your physician
mention  it? It's reportedly a pretty common lab result for LCers, especially
early on  in the diet, apparently, and is widely reported as a benign
phenomenon. Here  are some posts on the topic:

Elevated BUN  levels?
http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/general-health-medical-issues/761049-eleva
ted-bun-levels.html

creseis
"...  Volek and Phinney point out that high uric acid concentrations will
occur in  the beginning phase of low carb due to competition with ketones for
renal  tubular excretion (so ketones are excreted and uric acid remains in
the blood  and will temporarily cause increased levels of uric acid in the
blood), which  will give the appearance of high uric acid concentrations, but
it is really  innocuous. If you go off plan/out of ketosis at all during
this period, this  situation will be reinstated."

brandywine12
"I also have elevated  bun on this last lab work up. It seemed it went a
tad up almost every time I  was to get it checked with regular lab work. I
figured it had to do w/the  amount of protein I was eating. I have been into it
for a year and 1 month. I  was eating a lot of protein from july until jan
, I had these labs due and my  dr was putting me on statins so i stopped
eating a lot of fatty foods. So I  figured it was because of that. My range is
7-17 , mine was 18. My dr didn't  seem to concerned."

Why You Neet to Get Copies of Your Lab Test  Results
December 6, 2010
Jenny  Ruhl
http://diabetesupdate.blogspot.com/2010/12/why-you-neet-to-get-copies-of-you
r-lab.html

"When  you get your lab tests you will often see values flagged as high
that your  doctor has not mentioned. The most common of these is the BUN which
is often  elevated in people who are eating a low carb diet because the low
carb diet  induces a degree of dehydration that affects the test result but
does not  cause any health problems. If you see a value on your lab sheet
that concerns  you, ask your doctor about it."