From:
Linda Goldkrantz <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Linda Goldkrantz <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 11 Feb 2012 15:10:48 -0500

Just letting the listserv know....

I am in the process of considering a major move for my 91 year old mother, who lives 100 miles away.  (She's not currently gluten-free, but I've always wondered if her Parkinsons was really gluten-ataxia, a condition that is getting more press now.)

After spending endless days visiting numerous assisted livings, memory care units, and nursing homes, in the south Jersey area,  we found Spring Hills in Cherry Hill, near our home.  This is a new facility that just opened, and they are quite empty for now.  But if luck smiles upon them, and word gets out, I suspect they will fill up.   We are particularly interested in their memory care unit.

Their food for the residents is restaurant gourmet, leaning towards (not sure if completely) organic, healthy......BUT...what knocked my socks off... This is the first time I saw gluten-free listed as an option, instead of getting the usual blank stares when I asked. I did not speak with their chef, nor try the food, but the menu looks promising, and they are willing to be very attentive.

I don't know if all of the Spring Hills assisted livings have gf, but it's a start.  (Other places are in northern NJ, OH, VA, FL.) They are not a big conglomerate...which may be why they be more willing to feature healthy dining.  Here's the site.

http://www.spring-hills.com/p/assisted_living/assisted_living/cherry-hill-nj-08034/spring-hills-cherry-hill-4195

And on another end of the same topic......  My apologies to those of you who are still waiting for my summary of the over 70 replies I got when I asked the listserv about gluten-free and the elderly in facilities.  Life got in the way of my working on a summary and an article, but I'm basically living that topic right now....and my real life experiences will only enhance the article.  I also plan to brainstorm with Loretta Jay (thank you) of NFCA, who is currently the responsible person for the grant on gluten in drugs.  (When you want something done....ask a busy person.)  Once Mom is settled, I'll start my research.  Suffice to say, everyone whose responses would be covered by the summary...feels it's a big issue that needs addressing, and the places that are accommodating are out of pace with the need.

Thanks, Lin