From:
Donnajean Plante <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Mon, 8 Feb 2010 17:06:15 EST

Thanks so much for all who responded, great information here:

This website has lots of restaurant reviews
_http://www.theceliacscene.com/_ (http://www.theceliacscene.com/)

I am so glad to be able to offer you maps to Vancouver on
_www.theceliacscene.com_ (http://www.theceliacscene.com/) . There are so  many restaurants
where you will be staying and one of the greatest retailers,  Choices Markets,
is in Yaletown.

Here is a map just for you
_http://www.theceliacscene.com/map98-British-Columbia-Vancouver-and-Area-Downtown.html_
(http://www.theceliacscene.com/map98-British-Columbia-Vancouver-and-Area-Downtown.html)

Just use the + and - symbols on the map to zoom right into the streets you
want to see.

Yes I went to Vancouver to take a cruise  to Alaska.  Only ate in two
restaurants:
The Boat House and Morton's Steakhouse (which I think may have  closed).

Attached is the Restaurant list and Shopping list I got from the  celiac
org in Canada.  The other document are notes from emails I received  after my
post.  Maybe you can add to my notes document and send it out as a  summar?
Just a thought.  Hope this helps you!

I'm not that familiar with Vancouver because I'm over in Victoria (a  3-hr.
ferry ride + drive away).  I think your best bet is to consult the
Vancouver
Chapter of the Cdn. Celiac Assn., which can be found  here:

http://www.vancouverceliac.ca/ .  Under the "contact" link  there is a Forum
which you can consult & ask questions.

Check  out:

www.theceliacscene.com , a public service that provides  the
recommendations of local celiacs across Canada to any and everyone  who
might need them.

As such, you will find plenty of recommendations  for dining in
Vancouver by following the prompts, starting with the Canadian  Scene.

I haven't personally checked out the places on the link below, but  lots of
celiacs from this neck of the woods use it as a guide:

Gluten  Free Traveling in Canada: British Columbia
http://www.penny.ca/BC.htm  .

The Panne Rizo Bakery is quite well-known for gluten-free  baked
goods.

Here's another website:

Gluten Free Diet - Greater  Vancouver
_http://www.foodvancouver.com/restaurants.php?need=glut_
(http://www.foodvancouver.com/restaurants.php?need=glut)

Yaletown is a pretty good choice! You've got a store called Choices at the
corner of Davie & Richards that "specializes" in havinf lots f gf products,
 both packaged & ready to eat, including stuff from their dedicated gf
bakery.

Also lots and lots of ethnic restaurants around the area too, I recommend
Nuba.

If you look up on Goggle "The Canadian Celiac Association Vancouver
Chapter"
you will find all sort of assistance.  I live on Vancouver  Island and
every
time I go to Vancouver I know I can find good restaurants  and grocery
stores,  I have not yet encountered a chef who did not  accommodate my
needs.
For groceries right near Yaletown, you can go to Choices Food Market (on
Richards - walking distance). Choices has its own rice bakery. It's not at
the  Richard's location, but they should still carry their products. Also,
they carry  a ton of gluten free products from other producers. They are
scattered  throughout the store, not in a dedicated section. At the Choices near
me, they  are generally designated by a square blue sticker right near the
price. I'm not  sure if they do that that the Richards location, but they'll
have tons of  product nonetheless. _http://www.choicesmarket.com/index.php_
(http://www.choicesmarket.com/index.php)  - Choices Market  Yaletown
1202 Richards Street

A little further away, but close if you  have a car is Capers on Robson
(which has just been taken over by Whole Foods).  Capers has the usual Whole
Foods products, but is smaller than a typical Whole  Foods. There is also a
Whole Foods just outside the downtown core at 510 8th  Avenue West - just over
the Cambie street bridge, but still close by car.

I don't tend to eat in the downtown core much, so won't be tons  of help
there. I do know of _http://www.gorillafood.com/_
(http://www.gorillafood.com/) .

Panne Rizo (_http://www.pannerizo.com/_ (http://www.pannerizo.com/) ) is a
gluten  free bakery just outside the downtown core.

In  general, lots of people are pretty knowledgeable in Vancouver about
gluten. The nicer the  restaurant, the better the chance. Sorry I can't be more
help, but I don't know  much about that area of town.