From:
"J. V. Rich" <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
J. V. Rich
Date:
Sat, 7 Jan 2012 14:34:45 -0700

Thanks for all the rapid replies.

It was pointed out, rightly so, that there are many different generic manufacturers and each uses their own ingredients and suppliers, so in order to see if a particular medication contains gluten, you need to contact the manufacturer of that one medicine.  In our situation, since we would not know the manufacturer of the medication carried by the pharmacy until we went there with the script, it is a task best begun early in the day!  However, the doctor appt. (which we were lucky to get) was in the mid afternoon on a Friday and by the time we got out, it was too late to do what needed to be done.

So what did I do?  I read the emails I received (no one with experience but some great information and advice) went back to the pharmacy, read the ingredients, and got the prescription filled.  I also noted who the manufacturer was of the generic and will contact them on Monday as a further effort to get complete information.  I will repost if I learn that it is NOT gluten free.

Some of the responses I received:
---If you're really not sure, email Stephen Blogstead on glutenfreedrugs.com. The email address is on the bottom of his main page.  He's a pharmacist and will respond. I trust his site without a moment's hesitation, caveats and all, and he's responded from his cell phone.

---Being a medical professional and someone who has eaten GF for almost 30 years, I've found it rare for medications to contain gluten.  Typically, the only ingredient that I check--which is usually listed in the "inactive" ingredients--is pregelatinized starch.  This list helps explain some of the ingredients that you may find:  http://www.glutenfreedrugs.com/Excipients.htm

--- I also work for CVS. They should be able to look it up in a program called clinical pharmacology. It is available on our "CVS Internet". It doesn't necessarily tell you if it is gluten free, but it does list all the active and inactive ingredients for all the available manufacturers of the drug. Without knowing what strength or company you received I don't really have any more info. I hope this helps a little.

--- Change pharmacies!

Also two people mentioned that antibiotics can cause symptoms that are similar to those of being glutenated, so to be aware of that possibility.

Thanks everyone!  You are the best!

Jackie