From:
Jerry Rasmussen <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Tue, 3 Feb 1998 09:45:28 -0500
John / Jaime,
PCs with power management implemented in BIOS and in Win95, can be
setup in BIOS to "wakeup" when a COMM port is activated (call
received).  There are also devices that work with a modem such
that when the modem receives a call, a switch is closed to
complete a curcuit.  That circuit could be what your PC is plugged
into.  Silent Knight was one company (or product) used by telcos
for this purpose (rebooting computers at remote locations).  A
word of caution is in order.  Some FAX machines are set to only
ring a set number of times before they "conclude" that the device
on the other end is not available.  Consider the amount of time
that it will take for your PC to completely boot up and
load/enable FAX reception software.  This may be out of the
acceptable range for many FAX devices.

Jerry Rasmussen