AAM Archives

African Association of Madison, Inc.

AAM@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Vera Crowell <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 3 May 2010 18:34:55 -0500

                           PLEASE REMIT YOUR AAM DUES
                          Visit: www.AfricanAssociation.org !!!

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-1270160/Betrayed-NHS-Doctor-gave-life-health-service-refused-vital-cancer-drugs-save-her.html

Betrayed by the NHS: Doctor who gave her life to health service is refused vital cancer drugs that could save her

By Vanessa Allen
Last updated at 3:29 AM on 1st May 2010

A doctor denied vital cancer treatment said yesterday that she had been betrayed by the NHS.

Becky Smith, 30, has been refused a breakthrough treatment which could prolong her life by up to 20 years.

The drug refusal came after her breast cancer was missed four times.

Without the treatment she may only have 18 months to live, the NHS surgeon has been told.

She said: 'I feel so let down. I've given my all to the NHS and I could give it another 20 years, doing the work I love. I just need this treatment to give me a fighting chance.'

Dr Smith's NHS trust has refused to pay for the £23,000 treatment, although it is available from 40 others, including one only five miles from her family's home.

She now faces the agonising decision of whether to cancel her wedding to her childhood sweetheart and allow her retired parents to remortgage their home to buy her the chance of extra years of life.

She said: 'It makes me so angry when I think of the amount of work I've put into the NHS and how little I've got back.

'If I lived in a different part of Britain I would get this treatment. It's a real post-code lottery and it is so unfair.'

--
~ 49.5 million US abortions since 1973; ~ 18 million Black babies aborted since 1973; ~ 5.6 million abortions in Africa between 1995-2003; ~ 12 million Africans sold into slavery between 15th - 19th centuries; ~ 2 million Africans died during Middle Passage (number uncertain).