Condense Mail Headers

Sender:
From:
Elizabeth Boston <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 3 Feb 1998 09:37:39 -0500
Posted to PCBUILD by the moderator for:
Dan Dexter

Ron Colby wrote:

--cut--
> reason for concern since I am seriously considering purchasing
> Compaq's latest offering, the Presario 4860, 333 Mhz 'puter.
When I
> called Compaq and tried to glean information regarding the
chip set on
> the motherboard and back ground information on the various
mechanisms
> that make up  the computer I was informed that that
information was
> unavailable. I would appreciate any information regarding
Compaq
> computers in general and where on the Net I could possibly
locate
> information concerning what goes into a Compaq computer. I
realize
> that some of what I may have said could be construed as
inflamatory :
> ) and I apologize in advance if I may be mistaken in my
assumptions.
> Bottom Line is I am interested in making an educational
purchase and
> would like constructive feedback.

I see many Presario's come in for warranty repair work.  This
seems to
be the newer ones primarily due to Compaq cutting corners in
development and testing of their Presario line. The only thing
that
is saving people is Compaqs warranty.  We can replace almost the
whole computer if necessary without any qualms.  Go to a large
chain
store that is selling the model you want to buy (4860) and ask a
sales
person if you can open it up and look inside (the display
model).
Check out the included software thoroughly.  Go to Compaq's web
site and look up the 4860 under Service and Support to see what
problems people have reported or have been fixed.  They are
proprietary
but much better than Gateway or P-Bell.

Dan Dexter