From:
Linda Goldkrantz <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Linda Goldkrantz <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 16 Jan 2012 14:38:31 -0500

I am getting quite a few inquiries about where to buy rice wrappers and what they look like, so it's best to write to the list, instead of one by one.

I bought mine at Whole Foods in the Asian food section.  I have seen them at ordinary supermarkets in Asian sections, but can't tell you where, because I buy them once every few years.  I don't use them a lot.

I threw out the packaging, so I have no clue what brand to recommend.  Rice wrappers are 100% rice.  (Please, no-one beat me up if you are concerned about contamination. Some of the packages are pretty much in Chinese.  To me, if it's 100% rice, it's 100% rice.)  But Whole Foods and Wegmans are very good about knowing the food they carry.  Ask them.  I googled gluten-free rice wrappers for you and came up with information about brands and resources.  Best to do it yourself, so you can decide if you're ordering online or looking in the store near you.  You can also google for recipes using rice wraps.

The package will be very thin and flat.  The wraps I bought are about 8 inches across and are hard, thin circles, so maybe the package was about 10 inch square..

The package will tell you how to make them soft and usable.  Basically, you put a little warm water in a pan (I used a frying pan) and take one at a time and soak it for about 10 seconds, until they lose their stiffness.  Then you put it on a flat dish towel and put the filling in the middle.  You then roll up the bottom, then tuck in the sides, and then roll into the top end.  THEY WILL BE VERY STICKY.  If you wrap them wrong, you have very little time to redo them.  They are thin, but you'd be surprised how strong they are, but you still need to work carefully and quickly.

When you set the rolled one aside to do the next one, be sure you have a tray or parchment covered area, where they do NOT touch each other.  They'll stick and rip.

That's why, when I wrapped up the leftovers (which were still delicious 3 days later), I rolled each one separately in parchment, and then foil.

To answer another common question...we ate them cold, and the only cooked ingredient was the cod (or shrimp, if you follow a recipe on the package.) So I cannot guarantee that putting them in a microwave is a good idea.  I wouldn't.  When I had them at Pei Wei Diner, I don't recall them being warm.

These are the same wrappers (and pretty much the recipe), I used to try to make egg rolls, but I am never successful at frying them.  Other members wrote back that theirs fall apart in oil, too.  I think the secret is to have a deep fryer, because the directions on the wrapper say to deep fry for only 2 minutes, one at a time.  (They DO stick to each other in the oil, so be careful.)  When I used to try to fry  all 12, (not together),  I was lucky to get 8 that didn't fall apart.  Now, we don't eat fried food, but I tried to fry a few of these ....and failed again.  I was thinking that double wrapping might work, but a listmate has tried that, and they still come apart.  So I don't know the secret.  I think it just needs to be deep, hot oil...and fast fried.

For the filling, since the wraps are very tempermental once they're wet, slice, dice, chop...and have your filling totally ready before doing this.

FYI..Even my small asparagus pieces were raw.  Just the fish was cooked, flaked and cooled.

If I make these again, it will be mainly because they were so delicious even on the third day.  I can see making these up and taking them, in place of a sandwich.  They do taste good with gf soy sauce or sweet and sour sauce as a dip.

*******
*******