VICUG-L Archives

VICUG-L@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
peter altschul <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
peter altschul <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 29 May 2012 14:19:41 -0500
US Labor Department seeks submissions for disability employment
app challenge

The U.S.  Department of Labor's Office of Disability Employment
Policy today announced the launch of its first disability-related
application challenge, which is designed to generate innovative
tools that will improve employment opportunities and outcomes for
people with disabilities.

"I am thrilled to announce the Labor Department's first
disability employment app challenge.  Using today's technology,
we hope to inspire creative and innovative solutions to the
pressing employment-related problems faced by people with
disabilities," said Kathy Martinez, assistant secretary of labor
for disability employment policy.

Submissions should provide access to important data and
resources; attract users with different skill sets and language
preferences; be accessible (that is, compatible and interoperable
with assistive technology commonly used by individuals with
disabilities, such as screen reading and speech recognition
software); and consider partnerships that will ensure
sustainability of the app.  In addition, they should be targeted
toward a variety of audiences such as students, teachers,
employers, career counselors and workforce professionals, as well
as individuals with disabilities working or seeking work at all
levels in a variety of salaried and hourly jobs.

Awards with cash prizes - totaling $10,000 - will be given to the
top three submissions, including the grand prize Innovation
Award, the second prize People's Choice Award, and the third
prize Above and Beyond Accessibility Award.  The winners will be
featured prominently on ODEP's website, http://www.dol.gov/odep/,
as well as at
http://disability.gov<http://www.dol.gov/cgi-bin/leave-dol.asp?ex
iturl=http://disability.gov/&exitTitle=www.disability_gov&fedpage
=yes> and through other public outreach vehicles.

Contestants must register for the contest on the Challenge.gov
website by creating an account at
http://challenge.gov/users/login<http://www.dol.gov/cgi-bin/leave
-dol.asp?exiturl=http://challenge.gov/users/login&exitTitle=www.c
hallenge.gov&fedpage=yes>.  Each registrant will receive a
confirmation email and may then enter a submission via the "Post
a Submission" tab at
http://disability.challenge.gov<http://www.dol.gov/cgi-bin/leave-
dol.asp?exiturl=http://disability.challenge.gov&exitTitle=www.dis
ability.challenge.gov&fedpage=yes>.  Submissions must be entered
between May 23 at 12 a.m.  EDT and Aug.  23 at 11:59 p.m.  EDT.
Late entries will not be eligible for prizes.

If you have received this email and do not wish to be part of the
Job Accommodation Network's Email List, please email
[log in to unmask]<mailto:[log in to unmask]> with "Unsubscribe"
in the subject line or visit our OptOut Server at
http://157.182.245.35:8887<http://157.182.245.35:8887/>  to be
removed.  Our OptOut Server may also be reached by scanning our
OptOut QR code with your smart device.
[cid:TTVWUSBOFZSG.OptOut_Server_Small.png]

Archived on the World Wide Web at
    Signoff: [log in to unmask]
    Subscribe: [log in to unmask]