From:
Batsheva <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 5 Jun 2012 11:52:34 -0700
Many Aboriginals knew  the bad effects of eating unsoaked nuts.  It was the custom to  find a tree bough overhanging a fast moving stream from which they would  lash and suspend  a bag filled with gathered nuts.  They would come back for the bag in  3 days.  The constantly moving waters would wash away the phytates, or "bitterness".  The soaked nuts would then be laid out to dry in the sun,  a primitive form of roasting.  Pretty ingenious if you ask me.

Batsheva

From: Adrienne Smith <[log in to unmask]>
I eat lots of raw hazelnuts with the skin intact.  The skins contains  most
of the beneficial proanthocyanidin (polyphenols).  There are  also benefits
to phytic acid.  If raw nuts agree with your digestion  and you have no
allergies -- enjoy em I say.