From:
Ken O'Neill <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 20 Jan 2010 23:38:46 -0600
There's a sense of 'being Paleo' that boils down to something akin to
luddite religious fundamentalism. Our sense of Paleo rests on contemporary
physiology, not on revealed books given to Paleo ancestors. As such, best
case Paleo is a contructionalist genre, one well advised to learn from
decades of French post-modern decontructionalist epistemological method.
Paleos didn't have blender, protein powders, much less the intellectual
frameworks inherent in the work of Cordain and others. Much less did they
have a basis for evolving forward from eating game and garbage (gatherer =
scavenger). We do. To argue otherwise strkes me as imbecilic. We're
contructing a notion of paleo in evolutionary context and should be asking,
after Jonas Salk, what does survival of the wisest mean. Paleos didn't have
Salks' polio vaccination - as did many of us. Wanna idiotically discount
Salk's vaccine? Or do we move forward as evolutionary transformationalists,
syncretically merging the genetic record with epigenetic options?