From:
Mary Bourgrif <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Mary Bourgrif <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 7 Dec 2011 15:45:59 -0500

Or latkes, latkes and more latkes.  I received lots of responses.  Many told me it's easy to make potato pancakes from scratch.  True, but I've gotten lazy in my old age and I don't keep potatoes in the house unless I'm planning to use them, especially in the summer, so I have no ability to make the pancakes spontaneously, as I did last week when my intended baked apples became applesauce instead!

Three lesser known brands that were mentioned by several people are Carmel, Panni and Gefen.  No one was certain about their gf status and I haven't made contact with the manufacturers yet.

 I'm sorry to report that a few people seemed to think that if no gluten ingredients were listed on the label that the particular mix was gluten free (even though it might be produced in a matzo factory, with no claim of allergenic procedures or testing.)

My favorite suggestion: use  pre-peeled and diced potatoes.  They cut down on the prep work, can be kept on hand by those with enough fridge/freezer space, and since they're made in a vegetable factory, not a matzo one, they are probably reliably gf. I'm going to try this!  If I find any further info on Gefen, Panni or Carmel, I'll update. Thank you all. Happy Holidays