From:
Howard Sobel <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Howard Sobel <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 13 Nov 2011 20:22:47 -0500

Thank you for all of the great responses.  I went to the Kilwin's in
Deerfield Beach, Florida had a great experience.  The gentleman behind the
counter had a color coded chart to show me what had and did not have gluten
in it.  He also was happy to clean fresh utensils for me.

All responses were positive!  HERE IS WHAT YOU HAD TO SAY:

I spoke to the manager of Kilwins on St. Armand's Circle, LBK Florida 2
years ago regarding the ice cream only and was told that all of the ice
cream was NOT gluten free, as the base contained gluten.  I don't know about
the fudge.

I don't know if things have changed since then, but because of that, we
always just go to the Ben & Jerry's on the circle since they are so great
about cross-contamination and always use a clean scoop and open fresh
containers for us.

Yes, I used them in Sarasota, FL to provide candy favors for a rehearsal
dinner.  They have a list of ingredients of ice cream flavors and cadies in
the store.  I found them to be very helpful.  Good luck!

My mom owns the Kilwin's in Hendersonville NC and is also a Celiac - she
even stocks GF ice cream cones in her shop.  She is CC'd on this email and
can answer any questions you have.

Here is what I remember, my mom can correct.  Any shop you go into will have
a book with the ingredients for everything, with allergens highlighted.  Ice
cream other than plain chocolate and vanilla is made on shared equipment
that is cleaned between batches (I have never had a reaction to any ice
cream with no gluten ingredients).  Chocolates made at the franchise kitchen
are OK if there are no gluten ingredients, but those made in the shop may be
cross contaminated.  Everything made in the copper kettles and on the marble
tables is fine.  If Mom replies I will follow up further

I have eaten there and not gotten sick. I had them look at the packaging for
ingredients and did not have any issues with cross contamination.

I have always had good luck with Kilwins. They have always given me the
ingredient list of any item I want to eat.

Then I make the choice.

I love the turtle apples and the chocolate covered strawberries.

Howard J. Sobel

(954) 638-9291