From:
greenspot <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
greenspot <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 5 May 2011 20:23:54 -0500

Hi Listmates

Thanks to all who responded (and one whose response I got completely Wrong).

FYI Our daughter works for Walgreen's and they have a benefiber equilivent
from corn dextrin so I admit a connection but I own no Walgreen's stock.

Please please summarize your responses.  I made chicken, put some Benefiber
in it.  Thanks so much!

Flax seed is natural GF fiber. You sprinkle it in things
like sauce and you don't even taste it.

The only fiber supplement I can tolerate, and it is strictly gluten-free,
soy-free, dairy-free, is FiberSmart. Available at many health food stores,
and online at www.vitacost.com and other supplement sites.
It was made for people with irritable bowel and other digestive conditions.
I dump a scoop (comes with the scoop, often buried somewhere inside the jar)
into some water in a small jar with a tight lid after meals, shake it up,
and drink it.

I understand-I don't know about benefiber, but I know that Dr.Oz says that
fiber is so important and on the box of flax seed (which is ground up like
bran),
says that it is gluten free, so I figured that's a good fiber source that is
GF for sure.  I put it in a grated parm. bottle and sprinkle it in foods.
My
husband doesn't even know! :)

Benefiber is one of the 'clear' ones...I happened to notice the CVS pharmacy
make a clear one that is labeled g.f.--It contains only 'corn dextrin.'
Cost less the Benefiber for similar wheat-free ingredients.

You to set the limit/line on what g.f. means to you personally.

For me, it's anything containing wheat or any other gluten grain--regardless
of ppm tesing.  Celiac research is still in it's infancy & don't want to
hear 20 years from now that "'Opps! We make a mistake on the effect of trace
amounts."
While research is looking for a cause & drug intervention, there's not much
interest is doing research on gluten in various products...

I use one tablespoon daily in my coffee with no problem.

Many companies suggest that their gluten intolerant customers not consume
any product that may contain any gluten due to fear of lawsuit, whether they
have had complaints or not.  I am assuming they have cross-contamination
issues, but their product tests at less than 20ppm.

We use the CVS brand. Says Gluten Free right on the canister.

I read the same thing and was afraid to usse it. I found another product
that was almost identical but has corn dextrin instead of wheat dextrin.
The supplement facts are exactly the same as benefiber. The product is
Walgreens Fiber Powder fiber supplement.

I am a member of the celiac listserv
I had a brutal experience with Benefiber. I will never use it again amd I
stay away from any product containing innulin, the ingredient in benefiber

Thanks again everyone. Once more you seem like family.

Dennis