From:
"Paul%20A.%20Shippert" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 12 Mar 2011 18:11:36 +0000
Greetings Joyce and list--

To the best of my understanding, a comparable situation exists with FAX and phone modems, i.e., you can't "do" FAX over broadband (regardless of 'flavor') and you can't do 'broadband Internet' over a dial up connection.  It appears the closest approximation of 'broadband Internet' "over copper" ([somewhat] normal [depending on distance from a "central office"], land-line telephone service) is DSL, but I don't believe that even DSL can handle FAX.  AFIK, FAX is still limited to 14.4 mbs which is at least 2 modem "speed factors" old, and continues to be the standard by which FAX transmissions are sent and received.  Personally I'd love to have a device and service that would let me send or receive a "2-second" FAX, but I don't believe this exists...yet.)

Sorry if this is less than helpful.  Perhaps others on list have encountered other alternatives?

Paul A. Shippert

1