C-PALSY Archives

Cerebral Palsy List

C-PALSY@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
James Fee <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 16 Jan 2012 13:23:14 -0500
Hi All,

I am just coming out of a chapter of my life that has been the second
most horrendous of
them all.  On October 11th I had a cervical spinal fusion.  The surgeon
noticed "considerable"
swelling and left the interbation tube in place.  I was in ICU for three
days when an attending
took it upon himself to remove it.  My airway promptly swelled closed
completely, I had to be
reinterbated and I bleed from the nose and mouth.  After that I remained
in a drug induced comma for 14 days.  I finally had to have a trach, and
a feeding tube placed.  All the while (so
I'm told by my wife) the nurses were running around trying to learn how
to "treat" me for my
cerebral palsy and were perturbed that I was on meds. for it, nor was I
having therapy in a
rehab facility.  I was supposed to be in the hospital for a total of 4
days, I was actually there for 28 days.  I wasn't allowed to eat or
drink ANYTHING by mouth, because tests "indicated" that I
would aspirated EVERYTHING.  I was sent home with the feeding tube still
in me, whereupon I
took it upon myself to begin eating normally without any dire
consequences.  The residual effect of all this is that one of my vocal
cords is now paralysed and I don't know if I'll ever get it back.

I'm curious to know if anyone else has encountered such ignorant nonsense?

Thanks,
Jim Fee