VICUG-L Archives

VICUG-L@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Dorene Cornwell <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Thu, 9 Sep 2010 00:19:29 -0400
Hi Dan

A few thoughts. Please feel free to respond with gales of laughter if
some of them seem hopelessly naive and starry-eyed.

1. Who knows why upgrading one piece of software can cause so many
cascading problems. It happens with lots of kinds of software but I
think the problem has worse effects for accessibility products because
the total number of people using a given combination of tools is
frequently very small and there is almost no margin in some kinds of
troubleshooting. Maybe someone on this list has tips for your situation
but I sure don't.

2. I think it's your company's job to figure out how to meet your
accessible terminal emulation / braille display compatibility issues
and how to get the necessary software and licenses. I think it's great
if you can come up with suggestions based on others' experiences, but I
expect your company also has tech support staff who theoretically get
paid to handle exactly this sort of problem and I think it's totally
reasonable to ask them to earn their salaries helping you research this.

Perhaps this is enough incendiary comments for tonight.

GOOD LUCK

DoreneC