Date:
Fri, 18 Nov 2011 16:43:27 -0500
BlankMike,  I agree with what you said in principle.  If you have a perfect
match, feedline length is completely irrelevant except that you want to keep
the feedline shorter to avoid signal loss.  Of course, at 160 meters, this
is not really much of a consideration.

But, sometimes, trimming a bit from the feedline can help the tuner because
of the VSWR measurements.  I was always taught that if you can't measure the
SWR at the antenna feedpoint, there could be differences as you measure
along a feedline unless you measure at true half-wave equivalents.

Here is a good discussion of SWR and how it is really unimportant in antenna
radiation, as long as it is reasonable it hardly contributes to signal loss.
Most signal loss is due to inefficient antennas.

http://www.antennex.com/preview/vswr.htm

Steve
Lansing, MI