From:
colin McDonald <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
colin McDonald <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 30 Sep 2011 15:31:49 -0600
you will always get delay in a stream.  It's because of internet latency
issues mostly...but also because the audio must be converted and compressed
and so on at the initial input stage to the computer...this all takes time
when done in realtime.
Our local VE6HM repeater is online, and the delay is around 2 minutes.
Remember, anyone can buy a scanner, so don't get too wrapped up in the whole
thing about who has access to the stream.
Not sure how many frequencies you guys use, but one thing I can suggest is
that when you stream the receiver, have the main channel you want to hear
set as a priority watch on the scanner/receiver.  This way, when the thing
is scanning, it'll always pop back onto the main frequency that you wish to
hear instead of getting stuck on some other frequency and potentially
missing the stuff you want to hear.  with a stream, you can't hit the scan
button to get past the borring stuff.
I don't listen to very many online police or fire streams because usually
the guy who streams it, has a scanner that is just set on scan, and you
can't skip past the borring uninteresting stuff...and you end up missing
parts of conversations and such.
Another suggestion is to set the scanner to hold scan, so that it holds on a
frequency that was active for ten seconds after the person stops
transmitting...this way you will generally catch all the conversation.
Police comms are usually quick and to the point, so there isn't usually more
than a few seconds between transmissions so the hold function lets you hear
the entire conversation, then resumes the scan.

73
Colin, V A6BS