From:
colin McDonald <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 4 Aug 2011 10:53:04 -0600
those were the good old days when all you really needed was a few simplex
frequencies, and the, singular, local repeater pair if there even was one.
VHF FM being still a novelty and so on.
I've seen lots of older chrystal VHF rigs with 2 or 3 channels in them...a
repeater pair, 146.52 and another VHF simplex frequency to move off the call
channel.
I think Edmonton got it's first VHF repeater in about 1983 or something.
Back in the days when a newly licensed ham actually had to have a real radio
and build or buy a decent antenna to talk to other local hams...instead of a
100 dollar hand held with a rubber duck that works all over the city into
multiple repeaters.
And to think, there were more hams back then than there are now even though
you had to get your cw, and put up an HF antenna, and all the rest.

73
Colin, V A6BKX