From:
David Simpson <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 6 Jun 2011 15:07:26 -0400
Hi Steve,
	Wow, what a thorough and helpful reply! I really appreciate all of
the info, even if some of the programs you mention don't work that well,
because I now have a little history of what has been tried. Since the
programs (I think) are freeware, there's no harm in trying a couple of them.
I probably will avoid the one that stopped working with Xp: my only working
computer right now is running Windows 7. I haven't read the article to which
you sent me a link but I plan to do that shortly.
	My interest in PSK was sparked this weekend at a Special Event
station. In fact, listening to someone else use it brought to mind an email
on this list from a couple of years ago where someone talked about racking
up all kinds of qsos in Field Day, using psk. What impresses me  most is
that you can make contact with very little power, and that even if a sation
isn't audible in the noise, it is decodable, digitally. This makes the psk
mode great for qrp, an apartment, or difficult band conditions. Furthermore,
it uses so little bandwidth.
	Once I saw psk in operation this weekend, I also thought about a
friend of mine in the same radio club who is very hard of hearing. Noone has
ever thought to suggest that this might be a perfect hamming mode for him:
he had pretty much given up on anything with a low sig/noise ration--he
pretty much has been hanging out on the club's two-meter repeater. It really
rekindled his hope for HF operation, and he went home pretty excited about
it. So, it was nice being able to give another person with a disability a
hand.
	I like your idea about RTTY, too, and I'll definitely give it a try.
	Thanks again for such a helpful reply.

73,

Dave  W I 3 Y