From:
Ron Canazzi <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 24 Apr 2011 19:25:09 -0400
Hi Kevin,

This answer depends on which version of JAWS you are using.  In JAWS
versions before version 11, you would press insert + 6 to bring up the
configuration manager and then press alt + S for settings, t for text
processing and under the general page, you would press tab until you hear
JAWS say 'spell alpha numeric data and then use your  space bar to cycle
between either off/spell/spell phonetically--the latter of which--would do
just as good amateurs do in high noise environments as in 'Whiskey alpha 2
tango tango bravo' and so on.  Then tab to the OK button to save the
settings and press space bar and then press control + S to save the settings
and alt + F4 to exit the configuration manager.

In JAWS versions 11 and 12, Freedom Scientific--in its gimmicky and infinite
non wisdom--decided to change things.  If you now press insert + 6 you will
launch what is called the 'settings center.'  Then you must either tab to
the tree view and use tree view navigation to open and close branches and
navigate to the setting you want or you must use the search box that comes
up by default and type in a few letters of the item you are searching for
such as for the item to spell alpha numeric, you would type spell alpha...
and the item would then appear in the box one tab key press to the right of
the edit box.  You would then move to that results box and highlight the
proper item and then make the change with the space bar that would cycle
between off/spell and spell phonetically.
This gimmicky regression is fine assuming you always know the exact name of
the item you are type-searching for.  With so many settings in a screen
reader, it may be problematic to recall just what each item is called; just
how it starts and consequently, you may be guessing for minutes or using the
clumsier tree view navigation to find the item.

In any case that is how it is done.  Keep in mind that if you wish the
setting to occur in all programs that once you launch either configuration
manager or settings center, you must press control + shift + D to bring up
the default versions of these utilities.  Then follow the above steps to
change and save settings.