From:
tom behler <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 3 Apr 2011 22:09:19 -0400
Hi, all.

Yesterday, a ham friend gave me a Comet WS-1 car window antenna mount, that
can be used for a mobile VHF/UHF antenna.  I am thinking that this might be
worth trying in place of my ailing Magmount.  Keep in mind that the vehicle
that the XYL and I are currently using is leased, which prevents us from
drilling holes, etc..

I have a few questions:

1.  Has anyone heard of this type of mount, and what kind of luck have you
had with it?

2.  The Diamond 770 dual-band
mobile antenna that I currently use has an NMO connection, and this
particular window mount has a SO239 connection to accommodate a PL259
connector.  Are there adapters available to go from an NMO to a coax-type
connection?  If so, does anyone have any info on cost and availability?

3.  The PL259 connector on the other end of the mount that screws into the
radio is somewhat strange.  It definitely is a PL259 connector, but the
center pin is considerably shorter than that which you typically find on
normal PL259's.  In addition, when I do a continuity check on the connector
as it currently is installed, I seem to get a short circuit.  In other
words, I get continuity when touching both meter leads to the center pin
connection, but no continuity when one lead touches the center pin while the
other touches the outer shell of the connector.  This doesn't seem normal to
me, but perhaps I'm missing something.

I'd really like to try this window mount if I can do it safely, but I
obbiously need more info before I can proceed.

Thanks, and 73 from Tom Behler: KB8TYJ