From:
Steve Forst <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 16 Feb 2011 10:20:36 -0500
Mike,

 From what you are  saying here, I think you are not tuning fine enough.
   Going from 14.085 to 14.085.5  may be  too wide a jump.   I don't
know your rig or how fine you can set the tuning.  You need to get this
down to the smallest increment you can..   The fact that you can grab
some text is a good sign.   When you stop tuning  on a signal and the
text goes back to garbage, you need to go back ever so slightly, but if
your tuning step is too wide, you  will jump over it..

There are 2 different scopes on MMTTY. A x-y scope and a ft scope.   You
really need to read the docs on these.   Use one or the other, which
ever one she is more comfortable with.  When I had some sight, I used
the FT type scope.   There are either 1 or 2 vertical lines on the
scope.   As you tune across the signal you will see 2  peaks come into
view.    If I rememver right, you need to line the tip of the peak(s)
with the  vertical line(s).   I think the xy scope has some lines that
will cross when tuned, but it's been a long time.  Read the docs.  There
are menu settings for width, sensitivity, etc. for the scopes.  I hate
to say it again, but read the docs. If she can help you by using the
scope, it will make it easier for you to know what to listen for and how
to tune by ear.

BTW,  after being ticked off about not having mine working for WPX and
the back and forth e- mails on rtty, I tried to get mine working on
Monday.  Still have some problems, but monday night while looking for a
rtty signal to  try and tune on 20 meters, I heard the TJ9PF operation
from Cameroon.   Too good to pass up, so I jumped into the pile and
worked him.

Good luck, I think you've almost got it.