From:
colin McDonald <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 9 Feb 2011 01:08:23 -0700
the way I understand it, you can set the DStar mode up that way...so you
have to accept a call if someone is looking for you or your callsign
specifically...though you don't have to have it set that way.
It is optional.  You can set it up to monitor just like a conventional
repeater where you hear all the traffic on the machine....or in the case of
a simplex link, all the traffic being sent over the link etc.
It works a bit like DCS works I think where you can set the radio to only
alert you if someone calls you specifically, or leaves a message on your
screen when someone has sent the appropriate code.
With DStar that is all digital and so on, but you can have it set so the
radio alerts you when your call sign is being requested and you can accept
or not...but again, it's only an optional setting and certainly doesn't have
to be turned on.
Unfortunately, when using simplex, I believe you do have to have the other
stations callsign and info settup on your radio to receive them in DStar
mode, just as they have to have your info in their rig to receive your
transmitions.
This is why most DStar guys go through local DStar repeaters or connect into
gateways through availible links in their area.  It isn't like conventional
modes where you can just hear or talk to who ever is on the frequency.
That's my understanding anyway, perhaps there is a mode where you can listen
for any other DStar transmitions on a given frequency without having to
input the other stations info to hand shake with.
73
Colin, V A6BKX