Condense Mail Headers

Date:
Fri, 4 Mar 2011 08:39:17 -0700
From:
Bob Wright <[log in to unmask]>
Sender:
At 01:02 PM 2/1/2011, you wrote:
>Seriously...  I'm not joking!  I need to know if there is some kind of cleaning fluid
>that is safe for my laptop and its peripherals.  I spent three nights with my elderly
>cousin last week, and her cats anointed the canvas case and all.  Now even the headset
>and the cords, not to mention the auxiliary disk drive, reek of cat urine.  (I was able
>to launder the computer case and it got clean.)  Help?!  Please???  Thanks in advance.
>
>Joyce in SE Ohio

Joyce,

Over the years I have cleaned quite a few laptop keyboards and cases that have worse
problems than your's.  I notice you did not state that this cat urine has stopped the
function of your laptop.  It could have caused a short circuit inside the laptop, so your
problem seems to be only cosmetic.

I recommend that you remove the battery and give it a few minutes for the laptop to
discharge residue electricity.  Then, you can open the case by removing the screws on the
bottom and the shell should part easily, but do not force it.  You then can use spray
Lysol on a cloth or one of the pet urine products others have mentioned to remove the
urine from case parts, remove the keyboard and wipe it clean; and, any other areas inside
where the urine has accumulated.  I cannot overstate that these parts need to be
thoroughly dry before you reassemble the laptop.  Moisture is not your friend inside a
laptop.  But, when it comes to opening the laptop, just be careful, take your time and if
you remove something, be sure that you reinstall it exactly as you found it.

As far as your peripherals, it is basically the same, even your headset and external drive.

I am amazed that the cat urine did not short out something inside the laptop.  Although
the smell is rank, I think you really got off lucky.  Cosmetic cleaning is not as
difficult as replacing short-circuited components. Next time you visit your cousin, I
might offer that you consider keeping the whole laptop, case and all, inside a plastic
bag when you are not using it.

   Bob Wright
Managing Senior Partner
The NoSpin Group, Inc. (a non-profit Corp.)
http://freepctech.com - http://nospin.org - http://nospin.com
PCBUILD - PCSOFT - NOSPIN-L - FREEPCTECH mailing lists

                         support at our website:
                          http://freepctech.com