From:
Nancy llewellyn <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Nancy llewellyn <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 8 Nov 2011 18:27:36 -0500

SUMMARY RE: My email re losing weight:

Thank you for all your emails.  I have gotten many, many emails, too numerous to respond to all of them, and it brought me to the realization that all of our bodies are so different and our problems and issues so different, that there is no one clear answer about a person with celiac disease losing weight.  I can only share with you most of what was shared with me.

1.  It is very important to read labels because many gluten-free products are very high in calories and very low in nutrition.  Many people have recommended not eating any gluten-free breads, pastas, white potatos, white anything; I have found that one needs some gf breads, etc. in a diet.   Actually, pre-packed gf foods are not the best, so if trying the lose weight stay away!!!

Oatmeal for one meal and a quinoa product for another offers great nutrition and good bulk to a diet.  Quinoa pastas are filling and delicious, but as always watch the calories.  For us Weight Watchers quinoa pasta has 4 points for 2 oz. dry quinoa pasta, but it is satisfying.

2.  Diets:  One mentioned the Atkins diet on which she had great luck.  Another interesting diet recommended is the Paleo diet, and there is a paleo bread on the market which is supposed to be quite delicious.  The Fat Smash Diet helped one reader to lose quite a bit of weight in a short time.  I will always use the Weight Watchers diet because it's the best, and it can be adapted to my particular problems.  Another suggestion was the 17 Day Diet.

3.  One young lady takes Braggs apple cider vinegar and  honey and drinks it throughout the day,and it has helped her to lose weight.  Another lady suggested water with a splash of lemon in it helped her.  In any case, drink lots of water, drink, drink, drink - it helps cleanse the system.

4.  One person lost weight by going on a 1,000 calorie diet, so if you are eating way more than that, it's something to think about.  Unfortunately, I have a low calorie intake, and still it's a slow process of weight loss.  Another suggestion was to trick the body by eating more for a while and then eating less, or vice versa.

5.  I received this message from a lady and I am copying it here, because she has had a great deal of success using this approach:

"add fats.  I add a little salmon, coconut oil, and/ or (last resort) cheese.  I use ev olive oil for cooking veggies in most of the time, but sometimes I need to balance my fats.  Salmon has omega 3s, coconut oil has omega 6s, and evoo has omega 9s.  So I use coconut oil to cook some of the veggies in, or to use in dressings, and add just a small 1or 2 oz grilled salmon/ day.  I am not saying to pig out on fats, but "fat hording" can take place if I don't get what my body needs.  My body thinks it is in starvation mode, then my body metabolism just goes to a crawl."

I hope this was all helpful, and I sure hope something here helps me.