From:
Nancy Phillips <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Nancy Phillips <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 29 May 2011 07:27:27 -0700

Here is the summary.

Lo gluten is gluten free in Hebrew. Enjoy. I don't know restaurants. We went
with bob an Ruth lefts GF travel club.

We went to Israel two years ago and I had no problems at all.  I would highly
suggest getting travel cards in Hebrew. I downloaded some for free on the
internet.  I also took them in Arabic, as we went to Jordan for one day, and
there are alot of Arabic restaurants in Israel.  The food there is very fresh
and very good. We also found the Israeli Breakfast served in many restaurants
very good - eggs, Israeli salad, and lots of condiments.   For breakfast I
usually had a bowl of the fresh yogurt with fresh fruit and honey with coffee.
 For lunch I would have salads, fresh hummus and vegetables.  I am
not vegetarian, but it is just these foods are so good there.  I found gluten
free pita at aNatural Food Store behind the Yehuda Market in Jerusalem.  I put
one in the refrigerator in our hotel room, and carried one around with me for a
couple of days to have with my hummus.  If you find this, don't leave it in the
hot car, as it could mold.  I kept it in a ziplock in my purse.  You will find
fresh nuts, dried fruits, etc also in the market.  I brought GF granola bars,
and other non-perishable snack size food items to keep in a bag I carried while
we were touring.  If he eats peanut butter, you can buy the small lunch pak size
in your local market and take with you.  I also took about 6 of my homemade
blueberry muffins to have on the plane, and to have for the first few days we
were there.
Hebrew for "no wheat" is Bli Chita -- that phrase came in very handy.
If this is your first trip to Israel, you are in for a real treat - it is so
beautiful and the people are amazing.  Have a wonderful trip - I will try to
find details on the name of the Natural Food Store and send later.