EASI Archives

EASI@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Alan Cantor <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Tue, 18 Nov 2008 21:51:49 -0500
Hello EASI friends and colleagues,

I am in the midst of a major website update. As part of this year-long
exercise, I am also updating more than a decade's worth of articles that I
have published on techniques for improving software accessibility.

In many of these articles, I give lists of steps for performing tasks. For
example, in Microsoft Word, to remap the keyboard, go to the "Tools" menu,
choose "Customize...", activate the "Keyboard..." button, and so on.

I need a shorthand for expressing these steps. It is important to me that
the shorthand be easily understandable to as many people as possible, and at
the same time, not overly verbose for screen reader users. My best guess is
that one of the two following formats will satisfy most people. One uses the
greater than sign as a separator; the other, the horizontal line.

Tools > Customize... > Keyboard...

Or

Tools | Customize... | Keyboard...

If you are a screen reader user, which format works best for you? If you
have suggestions for others, I am all ears.

Alan

Alan Cantor
Cantor Access Inc.
www.cantoraccess.com