VICUG-L Archives

VICUG-L@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Blaine Clark <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Blaine Clark <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 10 Mar 2014 00:05:52 -0400
First off, get it cleaned, dusted out really well. Get all the hair and
dust holding heat out of it.
You've defragged, good.
Update your anti-virus program.
Install Malwarebytes which is a crapware scanner rather than a virus
scanner. https://www.malwarebytes.org/
Restart in safe mode - keep pressing the F8 key as the computer reboots
- and run both the anti-virus program and then malwarebytes. Reboot and
see what you've got.
If its still slow, rather than run a Registry cleaner, find a way to
research the list of processes your computer runs at startup and remove
them from auto-start. Also, look over your programlist and see what you
can safely un-install.
Keep this next recommendation in mind. Just last week I installed
Linux-Mint on a friend's IBM Thinkpad running Vista. We had tried
several options to get it from stalling and running slow with very
little success. It took him two eveningsto get the feel of the different
programs, but  now in the week that he's gotten used to Linux-Mint he's
thrilled with the speed and stability and how easy it is to use. I
simply copied his personal files to a USB drive from the Vista, then
copied them back into his Linux /home folder after the installation.
If your vision is such that you need a screen reader and perhaps
Braille, don't use Linux-Mint, instead, check out the Vinux version of
Linux.

No Microsoft garbage used here, sent by a very satisfied Linux-Mint
<http://www.linuxmint.com/> user (a former disgruntled Microsoft user).
You could check out Vinux, Linux for the visually impaired
<http://wiki.vinuxproject.org/>, and on FaceBook.
<https://www.facebook.com/groups/vinux>
This email and any attachments are not virus scanned either, that's up
to you poor Microsoft users to deal with.
I'd rather be a wild and wacky Linux Penguin than a docile,
domesticated, Microsoft sheep.

Archived on the World Wide Web at
    Signoff: [log in to unmask]
    Subscribe: [log in to unmask]