VICUG-L Archives

VICUG-L@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
peter altschul <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
peter altschul <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 30 Dec 2011 17:57:42 -0600
 ---- Original Message ------
From: Marc Mulcahy <[log in to unmask]
Subject: [orion-announce] Orion Status
Date sent: Fri, 30 Dec 2011 14:51:30 -0700

Hello All:

There have been several questions by some of our customers
regarding the upcoming release of the Orion products.  I want to
assure you that our silence in responding to your questions is
due to the fact that we are working diligently to ensure that we
exceed your expectations with these products!

As most of you know, we have been partnering with the American
Printing House for the Blind, (APH) in development of these
products.  Our original agreement included development of both a
device with a Braille display, and a voice-only device.  Though
some challenges have delayed market introduction, those very
challenges have resulted in a higher level of research which has
solidified our confidence that the level of customer satisfaction
in these products will be exceeded!

As we reach the final stages of development and approach the
production stages of the project, Levelstar Management has
decided to invest all energies into the APH version of the
products.  This decision will allow for the earliest possible
market introduction of product.  The APH Braille Plus 18 Second
Generation and the Braille Plus Second Generation will include
all the features and benefits as planned for the Orion.  Though a
first quarter 2012 introduction date is anticipated for the APH
Braille Plus 18 Second Generation, all questions regarding
availability and pricing of the Braille Plus Second Generation
products should be directed to the American Printing House for
the Blind.

Subsequent to the release of the APH products, LevelStar
Management will evaluate the feasibility of bringing the products
to market under our own brand name.  It's clear from feedback
we've received that people are confused about the feature and
benefit differences between the Orion and the APH Braille Plus
Second Generation products.  An absence of any differences
between the products would indeed result in confusion and not
benefit anyone in the process and detract from our goal that is
to fulfill the needs of our customers through dedicated research,
resulting in the highest quality product!

We very much appreciate your interest and share in your
excitement as to the world that will be opened with the Braille
Plus 18 Second Generation and Braille Plus Second Generation
Products!

Respectfully,

Marc Mulcahy
Vice President Engineering