From:
Phil Scovell <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 16 May 2011 21:06:37 -0600
I ordered something I've wanted for years today from MFJ.  It is their antenna analyzer for 1.8 to 170 MHz covering all the bands.  I know someone is going to have to read it since it doesn't talk but there's always somebody around to do that once and awhile.  It also puts out a low powered signal on the resonating frequency so you can tune your receiver to zero that tone and get an exact resonant frequency reading off the receiver because the analyzer read out, they say, is not as accurate according to MFJ.  I've got my 40 meter rotatable dipole bolted on my short 40 foot tower at about 30 feet.  That's about 5 feet below my G5RV and the rotating dipole out performs the G5RV and everything from 40 on up.  The 40m dipole is going to be a little over 50 feet above ground once it is put on the 16 foot mast and I know, from past ownership of a 40m rotatable dipole, how it functions from 35 feet on up to 70 feet.  The 40m rotating dipole also has a below 2 to 1 on 17 meters and definitely out performs the G5RV on that band.  I must admit, on the other hand, this being my third shorter 105 foot G5RV, that it, the G5RV, works way better, even at the lower level, than I thought it might.  I used to run one from 65 feet and it worked super well from there but I have done many hours of testing and it works, as I said, way better than anticipated.  I also get a 1.5 to 1.8 SWR in the middle of the phone band with it on 80 meters and I never had that happen using my past G5RV antennas from higher up on a taller tower.  Has anyone had any experience using the MFJ, or any other, antenna analyzer?

Phil.
K0NX