VICUG-L Archives

VICUG-L@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

Condense Mail Headers

Date:
Sat, 14 Jan 2012 11:04:41 -0600
Sender:
From:
peter altschul <[log in to unmask]>
From: [log in to unmask]
[mailto:[log in to unmask]] On Behalf Of Grace
Hoath
Sent: Saturday, January 07, 2012 4:27 AM
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: [Cavi-announce] This years enrollments press release

Hi everyone,
Here is this years CAVI press release.  Please feel free to
distribute it far
and wide.  I got this shiny new job and don't have as much time
to advertise
so I am leaving this in your most capable hands!
Thanks so much,
Grace

Greetings,

Are you curious about the hardware inside of your computer? Do
you want to
sharpen your troubleshooting and computer maintenance skills?
Perhaps you
would like to build a computer or home network of your own.

The Cisco Academy for the Vision Impaired enables blind students
to enter
the world of Information technology.  We provide Diagram
descriptions, audio
lab recordings, live online lectures by blind and vision impaired
instructors, and a community of students and instructors to
network with
even after you have graduated our courses.

The academy is currently taking applications for the first
semester of 2012.
We will be offering IT Essentials, Discovery 1, Exploration 1,
and our brand
new Linux administration course starting the first week of
February.

IT Essentials is an introduction to PC repair including:
Hardware,
installing and maintaining an operating system, Troubleshooting,
portable
devices, and customer service.

Discovery 1 is focused on home and small business networking.  It
is the
first of four courses that prepare students to take the CCNA
certification.

Exploration is a more in depth look at networking, both
theoretical and
practical for those students who wish to really get their hands
into
building and designing networks.  After completing Exploration 1,
students
may sit the CCENT exam.

The Linux Administration course introduces server-based Linux
systems
administration for vision impaired users.

¾    Students will learn how to install and configure a Ubuntu
server system
and install and configure a number of server based programs such
as
webserver,

¾    Email and a wiki.  The course aims to take a student from
what is Linux
to installing and using a Linux-based server system via SSH.

Each class runs for a total of six months, with online lectures.
The classes
are self-paced so you can finish them in a month, or take the
entire
semester if desired.  The cost for each course is 500 US dollars
however;
scholarships are available to students who are paying out of
pocket that
lower the price to $150.  Your eligibility for a scholarship will
be assessed
as part of the application process and payment plans are
available.  Students
are required to have good internet access skills and be familiar
with their
screen reader of choice, or be willing to teach themselves the
necessary
skills as we go along.  Students should be familiar with reading
Adobe PDF
documents, as they may be encountered while doing research
projects.  We do
not teach basic computer skills.  Course content is online, so a
broadband
internet connection is highly recommended.  Students should also
have a
working headset/microphone and be willing to install Skype and
Ventrilo, in
order to attend lectures and communicate with instructors.
Applications will
be accepted until February 3, 2012.

For more information on any of our courses or to request an
application,
please email

You can also visit our website at:

www.ciscovision.org finally, we have a podcast about the CAVI