Condense Mail Headers

Date:
Thu, 3 Mar 2011 05:01:27 -0500
7bit
Sender:
From:
Mike Jones <[log in to unmask]>

From Eileen Wuebker [[log in to unmask]]

THANKS to everyone who responded to my inquiry regarding ideas for helping
with stomach upset and motion sickness.  The response was positively
heartwarming, especially since we're so new at this!

FOR STOMACH UPSET:
1.   Ginger, ginger ale (Canada Dry has real ginger in it), ginger tea.
2.   Nux vomica is an OTC homeopathic remedy that helps some people with
nausea.
3.   For indigestion, try carbo vegetabilis (another homeopathic remedy).
4.   Peppermint tea and capsules
5.   Peppermint essential oil rubbed on the stomach.  It can feel hot on the
skin, but I do it neat.  You might want to soften it with a bit of olive
oil, but if you don't the heat dissipates in about 10 minutes.
6.   Babies' Tum-Ease by Eclectic Kids (http://www.eclecticherb.com/). Used
on 11 year-old child since was 3 months old. Best thing we've found for
child for any type of stomach distress.
7.   Chewable simethicone tablets - whatever GF brand you can find
8.  Try the homeopathic  veratrum album.  Works for my daughter after she
has been accidently glutenized.  Helps lessen the stomach cramping and
nausea.
9.  Probiotics
10.Low dose Pepcid  OTC  10 mg   Works within 10 minutes for me.  Gas is a
good part of this reaction.
11.Reglan (a prescription medication).  This is a medication that is often
used when a person has nausea or a slow gastrointestinal tract to help move
foods through.  You don't take it routinely only if you are having symptoms
like the stomach upset.
12. A cup of tea
13. Bentonite or charcoal will absorb candida and any toxins, but also
nutrients.
14. Marshmallow is very soothing.  You can get drops or capsules.
15. Try the Specific Carbohydrate Diet which was designed for Celiac and
Crohn's  - a lot of of celiacs swear by it.   It seems rather restrictive,
but a short spell on it could help healing.
Http://www.breakingtheviciouscycle.info/   and they have excellent sites
with foods which tells you why they don't work for your digestion.  I found
them spot on for me.
http://www.breakingtheviciouscycle.info/legal/legal_illegal_a-c.htm
16. Midel ginger snaps.
17. Try acid foods like tomato sauce, orange juice, pineapple
18. L-glutamine capsules work wonders.  You should be able to find at your
local health food store.
19. Casein-free diet, meaning no dairy except for eggs
20. Teas with a little natural honey:  green, chamomile, ginger, mint, and
cinnamon
21. Lots of good quality water will dilute stomach acids, as well, but not
neutralize them
22. Tums/Pepto Bismal
23. Ginger Tea (I usually get the "Organic Ginger" by Traditional
Medicinals, they also have a "Ginger Aid" flavor, but the "organic ginger is
ALL ginger, which I find much more helpful. Though it is strong.) You could
also just get some ginger root, slice it up, and put the slices in hot
water, might be simpler/easier to find! I know some people sweeten their tea
with honey or sugar, but I usually just drink it straight.
24. Ginger Ale (specifically Reed's brand, which uses real ginger, any of
the ginger flavors work, but I especially like the "Extra Ginger" which has
27 grams of ginger in it. Also very strong, so some may prefer their Premium
or Regular flavors which have 17 grams of ginger in it and isn't quite as
"spicy.")
25. Ginger candy (usually Reed's crystalized ginger, which is just ginger +
cane sugar, though really any sort of candied or crystalized ginger candy
would work since it kind of has to use actual ginger.
26. We are just past our 1 year mark with my 8yr old celiac diagnosis.  We
had started her on a fiber supplement and a probotic prior to the diagnosis
and we were encouraged to continue her on them.  I think they have
contributed greatly to her overall health, and help her better deal with an
accidental glutening. The specific items she takes are Culturelle, 1/day,
and Pedia-lax fiber gummies 4/day.
27. Yogurt, or any other cultured thing that I can find that will do the
trick.  I knock back my diet back down to simple foods (mashed potatoes,
broth, applesauce, no heavy proteins, things like that) for a while, because
I'm not digesting things well enough to do any good.  This helps me, and my
recovery time is a lot faster.
28. Trader Joe's has dried, chewable ginger at a reasonable price - you
could also ask your doctor for a prescription for Coke syrup, which works
like a charm to settle my stomach. Coke works, too, but I find the sugar and
the caffeine in the soda cause their own problems.
29. Also avoid stress and keep up the vitamin D.
30. Digestive enzyme at a natural foods store made by "American Health" that
contains papaya and mint
31. Chocolate or vanilla almond milk is good.
32. Prevacid, initially, although my daughter was later put on nexium when
prevacid was not helping enough.  Those worked very well after about a week
or so.  You can try over the counter pepcid but both my kids needed
stronger.
33. I'd check with her Dr. first, but I was advised to take the supplement
Slippery Elm Bark (I think that's right) for a month when I was first
diagnosed. It helps soothe the inflammation from the prior damage.
34. You might try about 1/4 tsp. of bentonite (Pascalite brand works well).
It cures about any kind of stomach upset. She'll likely only need one dose.
35. For the time being, my Naturopath has put me on a product called
"Ultra-Inflamx" by Metagenics. It is a powder-based medical food that
provides specialized nutrition to patients with inflammatory bowel
conditions. I only eat it once a day for breakfast (I mix it with fruit as a
smoothie) but I am noticing less stomach issues (less bloating and pain,
etc). The goal of the product is to reduce my gut inflammation. Sadly, I
didn't even realize that my stomach hurt as much as it did until it STOPPED
hurting and I began to feel better. Much like your daughter, I have
headaches as well and have seen an improvement.
(http://www.metagenics.com/products/a-z-products-list/UltraInflamX)
36. From my years of reading and observing I really think most people with
celiac also have irritable bowel syndrome (makes sense with all that going
on in your gut prior to diagnosis!) You may want to ask her doctor about
some of the anti-spasmotics they use for IBS (Bentyl, Levsin, etc) to see if
they help.
37. I would definitely comb her diet for hidden gluten that she may be
getting.  I have had times when I thought I was doing really well and didn't
realize I was getting gluten.  You could redo her labs to see if she is
still getting gluten.  This will show up on her Ttg IgG level.
38. Realize that switching to a gluten free diet absolutely makes a person
with Celiac disease feel better, but this doesn't happen overnight.  I had
huge issues with abdominal pain and distention that took some time to go
away as well as issues with joint pain.  I am also sensitive to some other
ingredients that do not contain gluten, but I think most persons with celiac
disease have a "sensitive" stomach and just don't tolerate certain items
like others do.  I notice that I am overly sensitive to sugar alcohols or
additives like these ie. stevia is no big deal, but this is a sweetener that
is often used in products in combination with fructose and that will bother
my stomach.
39. My sister and I have taken Reglan (a prescription medication) when we
have stomach issues and this seems to help us.  This is a medication that is
often used when a person has nausea or a slow gastrointestinal tract to help
move foods through.  You don't take it routinely only if you are having
symptoms like the stomach upset.
40. Do an elimination diet to pick up on what other foods may also be a
problem. Sometimes the food sensitivities go away after the gut heal, but
sometimes they don't.
41. It is possible that she has an H. Pylori infection in her stomach,
dysbiosis in her intestines, and food intolerances. Those are pretty common
with a body that's been assaulted by celiac disease and with our
well-meaning attempts to soothe the body.
42. Ginger really is good at settling down the stomach as a tea or as dried
ginger. Dried ginger has sugar on it, though, so you can't overdo that.
43. DGL (de-glycyrrhizinated licorice) can help soothe the stomach and
intestines.
44. I'm sorry your doctor doesn't offer much help. I'll bet an alternative
practitioner can, such as a nutrition therapist and can help with such
problems.
45. With two out of my three celiac kids, the key to handling stomach upsets
was to find something first off that soothed and distracted them.  With one
child (girl) it was warm bubble bath, soft lights, and then I would feed her
plain white rice.  With the other child (boy) he liked to get into mom and
dad's big bed and watch a particular Lego video, and eat yogurt. Most cases
the stomach issues would ease within 30 - 60 minutes.  When they persisted,
pepto bismal helped.
46. You might want to give peppermint gels a try; I know they have helped me
a lot with a queasy stomach. The NOW brand is the one I have been using & it
is gluten free:
http://www.amazon.com/Peppermint-Gels-90-Now-Foods/dp/B000MZQQQK/ref=sr_1_1?
ie=UTF8&qid=1296845664&sr=8-1.
You can check out the reviews too on this page.