VICUG-L Archives

VICUG-L@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Mike Pietruk <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Mike Pietruk <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 12 Dec 2011 04:25:43 -0500
Lisa

I echo Christopher's general guidance.  There is no one right or wrong
answer on this; and keep in mind that within a brand name line, there are
product lines within that brand name.
If you have a laptop right now, think what you like or dislike about it
now -- its pluses and minuses -- and make certain that, whatever you buy,
it covers that.
Number of usb slots, size of drive, size of monitor, speed of processor
and all the rest that goes into a pc.
Often, a person's bias for or against a brand name is based on a single
experience with a brand and may or may not represent a true picture.
Also, experiences from years back may not be reflective of what something
is today.

If you will be starting out with an operating system you are not familiar
with, your initial experience
may be somewhat frustrating initially as you get used to it.

One thing I would check is, if you purchase extended warranty coverage, is
who provides that coverage -- is it the manufacturer or a 3rd party.
Also, if that machine needs servicing, where will it be done.

If you still feel uncomfortable, find someone who recently purchased
something and take a look at that.  That machine may be a good starting
point as you think things through.

Our experience determines our persuasion.
Ray pritchard in the sermon "Chariots of Fire"
http://www.keepbelieving.com/sermon/2006-03-08-Chariots-of-Fire/

Archived on the World Wide Web at
    Signoff: [log in to unmask]
    Subscribe: [log in to unmask]