From:
Michael Ryan <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 19 May 2011 09:02:02 -0230
Hi:

One of the moderately priced HF rigs you could look at would be the Omni-VI series.
There were 3 upgrades to this transceiver, the Opt-2, 3 and Plus. The last Plus coming out around 1998 or so.
This rig will probably go down in ham radio history as Tentec's best all around rig I'm sure.
That's why you don't see too many up for sale but they do appear every now and then.
TT made a voice unit for this rig and probably has a few available now as they still service everything they made up to about 40 years old.
You could even PC control this rig and HRD might be able to interface with it. I know HRD interfaces with the Omni-VII and other TT rigs.
I have played around with some internet remote TT rigs a few years ago and from what I remember, TT's DSP was some of the best in the business.
You didn't get this underwater sound like you do from the Icom's and TS-570 line.  Now another rig you might look at re_aquiring could be the TS-870.
This one was pretty advanced for its time as well, running 2 24bit processors. They're reasonably priced on the used market.
Having it to do over, I may have spent the extra 500 for the FT-950 or snapped up the 870 that became available after I bought my Yaesu FT-450AT.
 This is a lovely little rig as well for the price. It beets all the 1K to 1.2K rigs.
I do wish it had a 3KHZ roofing filter, which is why I would have wanted a higher priced rig but overall, its a decent little performer.

73:

Michael De VO1RYN