From:
Hope Harris <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Hope Harris <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 20 Mar 2011 21:22:32 -0400

Let me start off by saying that I don't eat my cat's food.  :)

I was diagnosed with DH and subsequently CD, both by biopsy, in November.  I have never presented any gastro symptoms, only the DH rash.  After ~6 wks on a strict GF diet, I felt great - no rash or anything.  Then 3 wks ago, the rash came back and hasn't gone away.  My house is 95% GF (I have a young child so have a few packaged snacks kept completely separate from the rest of the food), I am extremely careful with my diet, and I never cheat.  So I am perplexed about where my gluten contamination is coming from.

A little over a month ago, we got a new kitten.  His cat food contains barley.  I am wondering, since I have eliminated nearly every other possible source from my home, if his food is what's bothering me.  Despite my best efforts to keep him off the table and countertops when I am home, I'm sure he at least gets on the table when I'm gone (due to the messed up tablecloth).  Perhaps his food gets on his paws, then gets on the table?  Maybe there are crumbs somewhere I don't see?

I appreciate any information this group can provide.  I am exhausted from trying to figure this out.

I will summarize responses.  Thank you!
Hope