From:
Keith Thomas <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 1 Feb 2011 15:40:40 -0500
Subject: Re: New Years Resolution Now Optimal Weight
From: mapper2008 <[log in to unmask]>
Mon, 31 Jan 2011 12:23:56 -0500

> I was up to a very unhealthy (for me) 180 lbs a year ago,
> some of it muscle but most of it fat around the waist.
>
> I don’t think I 'consciously restrict' calories, thought I don't know for sure.

I read into that that you are on a diet low enough in carbs to minimize hormonal hunger.

> If I do get hungry, I go with something like almond butter, macadamias, or pemmican.

My general advice for people who "get hungry" is to drink water. Our hunger sensor is not all that sharply distinguished from our thirst sensor. It is possible to be thirsty, but for one's intentions to satisfy our moderate thirst to be sidetracked by the attractive thought of a favourite comfort food. So, we eat, find we are still thirsty, and then drink as well, thinking "that was a nice way to round off that snack", not, as we should, "Dammit, a drink is what I wanted in the first place".

Being a palaeo eater, I would recommend at least half a litre of room temperature water as the preferred drink (preferred because it'll have a minimal effect on hormonal hunger).

Another point that is causing confusion in this discussion - and almost every discussion on fat loss - we use the term "weight" far too loosely. Our weight as measured on the scales comprises water, bones, muscle, fat and more. I don't need to tell you this, but I do need to remind you to say "fat" when you mean fat; don't resort to the slightly more comforting, euphemistic and misleading "weight".

A case in point, my younger son was a competitive swimmer in his youth and weighed 68 kg when he competed in the year 2000 Olympic trials - he was pretty fit! Now, 11 years on, he weight fluctuates between 87 and 92 kg, but he has added very little body fat - it's predominantly muscle. He has a weight training regime which maximises his testosterone and HGH production and follows a high fat/low carb diet.

I know it's easy for people up to the mid-30s to keep unneeded body fat away, but the same lesson applies to me as well. Two years ago I went to my older son's graduation from the UK's army officer training academy, Sandhurst. He was, of course, pretty fit and trim at the time. As I didn't have a formal dinner suit, I borrowed his and it fitted me perfectly.

If you are being a good Homo sapiens, you will have more muscle (which has weight, of course), than the average non-palaeo person. More muscle = a healthier overall metabolism. So, be comfortable putting on weight - even proud of the fact - if it's muscle + an accompanying, natural, healthy amount of additional fat. Be comfortable, confident and self-assured being abnormal!

Keith