VICUG-L Archives

VICUG-L@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Mike Pietruk <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Mike Pietruk <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 8 Jan 2011 10:53:37 -0500
Organist

You are trodding on very subject ground with your comments.  While I can
understand an appreciate them, personally, I am so used to synthesized
speech of the Double/triple Talk variety, that I would view it as my
preferred reading voice.
I also find reading with the pc so far more efficient and convenient, as
compared to the nls talking or hard-copy braille book, that I have little
interest in them unless no other means of getting the material were
available.

What do I like about reading with the pc.  I can quickly clip material out
for future reference, mark something, use search commands for specific
words or phrases and have my result in less than a second, and this off
the top of my head.

Getting Braille copies of books takes forever, even if something were
in existence, and we have said nothing about production schedules.

Book reading is not much a part of my life these days, due to the
competing info sources, but I don't relish the thought of having to wade
through a NLS audio book or wait months for something in Braille from a
regional center when, instead, it can be grabbed in minutes from Web
Braille.
Web Braille, of course, can be read by programs such as K1000 which can
easily backtranslate into text.

This isn't a right or wrong answer thing; but I am far beyond the point of
looking at things esthetically.  My sighted wife loves her Kindel, and the
only thing keeping her from buying more books on a regular basis is the
price.
Otherwise, I suspect, she would give up the paper reading of books for the
electronic given the convenience.  She wasn't sure she was going to like
it so she experimented with the free samples Amazon offered
Where the NLS talking book has a unique advantage is for certain fiction
where a given reader just happens to do a book or character the way you
like it.
I recall, as an example, listening to a good number of the Lillian Jackson
Braun "Cat Who" series done by Bob Askey that it just didn't sound right
when someone else happened to do a book in the series.
I stopped with the NLS book and grabbed a Bookshare copy of the text in
that instance.

He is no fool who gives what he cannot keep to gain what he cannot lose.
Jim Elliot

Archived on the World Wide Web at
    Signoff: [log in to unmask]
    Subscribe: [log in to unmask]