From:
colin McDonald <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
colin McDonald <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 15 Aug 2011 21:47:36 -0600
yes, a 15FT painters poll would be fairly strong, though I wouldn't want to
have it raised while your going down the highway at 75MPH!
another type of fiberglass poll is a poll used for doing concrete work.  I
don't know what they call them, but they come in different lengths, and are
telescopic...and very strong.
The other consideration is that you don't want that antenna sticking up more
than 2 feet above your roof line while your mobile.  Bridges and other
considerations prevent you from having something more than 14 feet from the
ground...unless you don't mind replacing the screw driver after each trip hi
hi.
So, one must assume that you want something that you can erect when you are
stopped?
Or, as you say, something telescopic so you can easily pull or push it up
when you are stopped.
The linemans poll is great for that because it comes in 5FT sections.  You
just get up on the top of the latter and pull each section up at a time
until they click together.  Then, when you are ready to bring it down, you
just depress the spring pins until each section is lowered again.
Of course, the linemans poll is hollow, but the tip is generally solid, so
running a ground wire down the center of the poll might be a bit difficult.
A painters poll would be plenty strong enough to support the screw driver or
even a tripple hussler type configuration, while you are stopped.  Once it
is lowered down for travel, it will be extremely strong with all the
sections pushed together.
Perhaps make a trip to your local hardware store and see what they have in
stock for telescoping polls.  There are allot of jobs that require that sort
of thing, so they're more common than you might think.
Several weekend HF ers around here use painters polls to support both
vertical mobile antennas, and for wire supports in a field or camp ground.

73
Colin, V A6BS