From:
colin McDonald <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 9 Aug 2011 12:55:05 -0600
I think you made a typo since the Yaesu FT-2900 is a VHF only radio.
as far as accessibility, well, the knobs are large and easy to feel.  The
radio has buttons on the front for the main user functions...vfo/memory,
power output, reverse, menu, wires etc.  The microphone has function buttons
on it as well for allot of stuff.
tx tones and CTCSS tones are difficult to program as they are buried in a
menu tree like most of the other functions you might have to program.  You
can enter memory channel numbers manually via the microphone keypad as
well...and it has direct frequency entry via the mike keypad.

I don't know if the RT systems programming software is accessible or not.
The ft2900 is rugged and fairly well built much like the rest of the same
family starting with the 2300M.  I used a 2800M for a while and managed to
get around the radio with help from an online manual and trial and error.
I don't remember any of the programming steps, but I managed to program all
the channels I wanted, and used VFO, memory, and all the scan functions and
what not.
The 2900R is the next radio in the line from the 2800M, so they are very
similar.
Personally I wouldn't have bought the 2900 because the kenwood TM 271 has a
bit more accessibility built into it...like beeps and so on at menu start
and end points, and various pitched beeps when you change functions.  And,
that extra 10 watts doesn't make that much difference.
However, the ft2900 sounds great on tx, has a pretty decent front end, and
like I said, is rugged.
quite a few hams around here use them both mobile and at home.

73
Colin, V A6BS