From:
"Howard, W A 9 Y B W" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 6 Aug 2011 10:24:18 -0500
Hi Bill,

I worked for Heath from 1975 to 1978 in the service department.  The service
department had about 50 technicians.  We were divided into equipment types
such as Amateur Radio, TV, Test instruments, Audio equipment and
General(everything else).  I was in the main plant in Saint Joseph,
Michigan.  While Heath's address was Benton Harbor, it was actually in Saint
Joseph.  At that time, Heath had around 1200 employees.

Heath has sold that large building, moved to smaller quarters and sells
educational  course materials and trainers covering electronics education.

I believe there are less than 100 employees now.

It is sad to see such a great part of history come to an end.  I guess the
cheap electronics coming out of Asia and the advent of surface mount
technology has changed the kit building business.  After all, it is not
cheap to develop a kit and its assembly instructions these days.  This is
only my opinion, I have no knowledge as to what actually happened to Heath.
I have a feeling when Zenith baught Heath that was the start of their
downfall.

If you have other questions, I will try to answer.

Howard T. W A 9 Y B W