From:
colin McDonald <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 5 Jul 2011 14:42:40 -0600
so IDAS and nexege are cross compatible?
Seems both are big in europe for both commercial and Amateur use.
I've heard very little about IDAS or nexege for commercial applications in
Canada.
They may well exist, just not around here yet.
I'm sure I can read about both, but do they use the APCO25 type incription?
if not, what do they use and are either IDAS or nexege able to be decoded by
modern digital scanners?

I guess part of the issue with IDAS or nexege is that only commercial radios
are availible so far for either system, and unless you have an advanced
class license in canada, your not supposed to use commercial gear on the ham
bands.  So, that pretty much eliminates probably 60 to 70 per cent of the
licensed hams around here anyway.
Not many clubs are going to put up the doe for a IDAS/nexege compatible
repeater when 60 or more per cent of the user bass won't be able to access
the digital system with their ham only rigs.
There is a way around the license commercial problem in that a commercial
radio can be programmed by an advanced user, and physically used to transmit
and so on by a basic license holder, but there again, it's throwing another
monkey wrench into the ease of use and accessibility of the digital system.
At least with DStar, though expensive, any ham regardless of license class
can obtain a DStar enabled ham rig and get on the system.  But, you can't
get a commercial radio with DStar in it, which means the cost of radios and
DStar modules stays quite high.
Does IDAS or Nexege also maintain analogue voice on the same repeater pair
on top of the digital? I ask because it would be great to suggest trying one
of these systems out on a local repeater as long as the regular analogue FM
traffic can continue while those who can obtain the IDAS/Nexege rigs can
also try that mode.
DStar as you know, is digital voice/data only without any analogue FM
aspect.
For instance, can you use an IDAS or NEXEGE compatible repeater on regular
analogue FM, and turn the digital aspect on at will?
whereas with DStar you have to use digital only and the repeater system is
not compatible with analogue FM usage.
If the IDAS and Nexege repeaters are cross compatible with each other, and
also allow for analogue use, then they are for sure a far more flexible and
better alternative to the DStar stuff which is digital only.
Last question, does either IDAS or NExege utilize the 1.2GHZ band, or are
they confined to VHF/UHF bands only at this point?

73
Colin, V A6BKX