From:
Lloyd Rasmussen <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Tue, 21 Jun 2011 23:53:27 -0400
That sounds like the action of your noise blanker.  Don't turn it on unless
you really need it.

Also, on the lower bands, you might want to switch off the preamp and
perhaps activate the attenuator.  The objective is to get the background
noise with your antenna perhaps 6 to 10 dB louder than the noise level with
no antenna or a dummy load (while the RF gain is reduced so you can hear the
difference).  This gives you enough sensitivity to hear the weak ones
without creating a lot of extra distortion products in the receiver.  But
that was another reason I liked the FT950 over the FT450:  the 950 has two
preamp stages and four attenuator settings.

Hope you can fix this.  Some kind of speaker is not going to fix this, and a
different roofing filter won't make much difference, either.
73,
Lloyd Rasmussen, W3IUU, Kensington, Maryland
Home:  http://lras.home.sprynet.com
Work:  http://www.loc.gov/nls