From:
Ron Canazzi <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 9 May 2011 14:07:20 -0400
Hi Group,

I thought that all mandates for the slash designation were gone except for
when you move from country to country and from state to state.

For example, if you live in New York State--a 2 call district, and you are
camping in Ohio--an 8 call district state, you would identify as (in my case
where my callsign is AA2VM) as AA2VM/W8 or perhaps just AA2VM/8.

Most people would identify as mobile as in AA2VM/mobile just to alert the
corresponding stations that they are mobile and that their movement may
cause their receive-ability to change--moment to moment.  Portable is used
when the station is fixed in another area outside the call district of the
transmitting station, but as far as I know--as of the late 1980's or early
1990's the FCC requirement to identify as portable was dropped.  That is why
you hear thousands of ham calls with W1 and W2 that are located in Florida.
FCC rules allow for individual operators to keep their original calls (and
now with the vanity calls) it really doesn't seem to matter any
ways--regardless of relocation.  I used to like it when FCC required a
district number change when individuals moved from one call district to
another.  You used to be able to turn your rig on and on a specific band at
a specific time determine from which direction or area signals were
strongest by just listening to the callsigns.  This is no longer
possible--oh for the good old days <laugh>!