From:
Bob Tinney <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Bob Tinney <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 9 May 2011 01:03:34 -0400
Hi Phil,

I have owned my ALS1300 for about one year.  I'm very happy with it though I
did have one problem with it when after 5 minutes of transmitting, the amp
quit and would not turn on again.  Ameritron paid for shipping back to them
and I got it back in one week where Ameritron replaced all eight final
transistors.  It's worked great since.

I can get 1000 watts out with 40 watts drive and the maximum power that I've
measured was 1384 watts on 75 meters.

The amp is sold with a switching power supply and it covers 160 through 10
meters.  10 and 12 meters require a mod kit that installs with screws, but
have fun putting the case screws back in.

The only complaint that I have is that the power supply has a rather loud
fan who's speed does not vary with temperature.

I prefer solid state amps for two reasons.  The amps are more efficient and
transistors usually last longer than tubes before needing to be replaced.
Before I owned this amp, I owned an ALS600 which gave me no problems at all.

I should mention one more thing.  Unless your antenna has a low swr on all
the frequencies that you want to work, be sure to use a tuner after the amp
to make the amplifier happy.

Bob Tinney, K8LR, [log in to unmask]
Skype, bobtinn
There's amazing intelligence in the Universe.
You can tell because none of them ever called Earth.